Monday, October 12, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving!



Happy Thanksgiving!

It’s a balmy -5 here and the snow keeps a-fallin’. At first I thought I’d have nothing to share with you as I’d just been feeling rather sad and pathetic since the beginning of the week. To sum it up: I got sick. It sucked. I missed some work. Also sucked. I have a feeling that Ashton and I’s insane vegan feast yesterday has me pretty much cured.

Curious what we had, as Vegans? I know you’re dying to find out! I still can’t believe I spent $9 on a squash here.

- Coleslaw with purple cabbage, carrots, walnuts and cranberries
- Home-made bread stuffing with apples, parsnips and white wine
- Parsnips
- Baked spaghetti squash with molasses
- Wild mushroom gravy
- Mashed potatoes with garlic and fresh dill
- Tofurkey!
- Pumpkin pie
- And…a rather large bottle of Australian white wine after being in the kitchen ALL DAY!

We’re going to be eating all of this for DAYS to come. It was all home-made and organic. We definitely had some pumpkin pie for breakfast.

Thanksgiving is my favourite holiday of the year so I was gearing up for a sob-fest. (not that I could deny that didn’t already happen this week. ) It was awesome then to be called up and for all of my extended family to yell ‘happy thanksgiving’ then promptly put the mouth piece to the accordion.

And you know what, just being able to sit and share dinner with Ashton was awesome. I know it’s a rite of passage; young couple moves out and tries to cook their first turkey. Well, tofurkey and just the whole process was enjoyable. Neither of us had ever tried to make stuffing or gravy on our own before so it was all kind of experimental. As well, neither of us have ever had a holiday dinner that we could everything of without worrying or offending anyone. Next week we’re going to a post-thanksgiving pot-luck at a fellow vegan’s home.

The weekend has been rather busy and I’m so glad I have today off after running so many errands and truth be told, getting in at 2 am last night from a gig. That much is sort of back to normal. I NEED to be able to go out to shows in order to feel ‘at home’.


We saw the Shout Out Out Out Outs on Saturday. They’re an Edmonton based synth-rock/dance band that I’ve been a fan of for quite a while. They have 2 drummers and 3 keyboardists mounted on different levels. Lots of dancing and shaking and moving. I was half-hoping that Cadence Weapon (also from Edmonton) would come out and do his song with them but at about 1:40 I called a cab.

We learned last week that gigs start super late so we hit up Walmart before so that Ashton could buy a TV!

Now, I must say, I’ve NEVER seen Ashton buy anything that wasn’t essential before. I mean, I’ll say ‘we need to get some more margerine’ and he’ll be like, ‘oh, let’s just wait til it’s on sale.’ Come on! It’s margarine! It’s essential! The television is calling to us now, begging us to spend the rest of the day on the couch watching movies.

I’m sorry Dave, I must let you go.

Hope all of your Thanksgivings were enjoyable and spent with the ones you love!

p.s so this is what it's supposed to look like here


and this is what it actually looks like

No comments: