Sunday, October 18, 2009

Sundays are the worst



Not much happened this week in terms of events. I can happily report that the snow is gone! This weekend Ashton and I had a lazy Saturday together- made a fancy Italian dinner. Besides that, I went to work and Ashton to school. Getting all of his assignments done on time has been a struggle and I’ve had a hard time with his perceived disregard for school so a new plan was implemented that I don’t much like, but it forces him to complete everything (and it’s been working ). I proofread and edit as well as supply ideas if I can for anything related. I’ve been leaving him on his own to work, which kind of isolates me because he’s the only friend I have here.

Yesterday I went to this really old cinema called the ‘Princess Theatre’ to see the new Ricky Gervais film ‘The Invention of Lying’ while I left him to work. It reminded me of the old theatre in Renfrew, Ontario (an old converted opera house). It had Greek frescoes and molded sculptures into the sides. I sat up on the balcony and thought to myself, my God, I can’t escape my film studies background. It’s interesting because even though attending films can be a very solitary experience – you are in the dark and not encouraged to interact with others- it is a widely acceptable social experience in that you are NOT alone. You are in fact engaging with the same material as all the others around you as a temporary community. Not that this film was particularly high-brow art film, but all the same, just watching people enter and performing this social ritual. I skipped out on the popcorn and brought tea instead. (can you tell I’m dying to write more on the subject?)

So this brings me to something rather important. Since I’ve started working for the university this September, I’ve missed school. My mother has revealed that she’s shocked I’m not in school. I’ve been considering applying for my MA in film studies for the last year or so, and getting the marks to prove it. I’m now looking into taking a few film classes here to be counted towards my MA application. *the classes at u of a are not as recognizable in film as say Carleton, but regardless it will help speed up the process. I’m not sure if I’m going to get into the MA program immediately, but they have a qualifying here that fingers crossed would accept me. From being away from school, and not being a huge fan of admin work I’ve realized that going back to school would in fact be a step towards becoming me desirable for employment in my field of choice: writing. However, in order to be able to do that I need money, and the easiest way is to stay in my current job. And the film festival director job, which is already stressing me out, is definitely proof enough of how dedicated I am to the degree.

Sorry for not being as entertaining as I have been in the past weeks, I’m having a hard day. I’ve been feeling really disconnected from life in Ottawa. The church bells up the street woke me up and reminded me of zipping past parliament on my way to a gig or the market, therefore the crocodile tears came a’ tumbling.

Thinking of all of you,
- Samantha

visitors
combining antidepressants

No comments: