Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Day 2 Edmonton


So Day 2 in Edmonton, Alberta.

Day 1 was not so smoothe sailing. I was nervous and hadn’t been able to sleep much the night before as we were to leave very early in the morning. This quickly translated to my throwing up at the side of the 401 some 5:00 a.m.

Then I was accosted by security because I had a pair of eye tweezers which apparently are considered a weapon at Pearson International. We both passed out on the plane, Ashton noticeably snoring louder than anyone else around us. I thought I would have been so much more excited to get on that plane but it was simply a means to reach the next day; the day that I began my new job.

Arriving in Edmonton Alyssa picked us up, (Ashton’s brother’s girlfriend) and then became an absolute godsend. We were worried about rent so we popped over to the bank only to discover that ALL of my money had holds on it. ALL of it. Therefore, no bed, no bedding, no food, no nothing. It was a VERY frightening concept- flying into a new city and having NOTHING and access to NOTHING. I broke down in the bank and had to be ushered into the bank manager’s office. Overexhaustion was obviously another factor. Then I discovered that water had leaked all over my laptop. The scary thing is, that situation was VERY similar to what happened to me when I first arrived in England, except that my grandmother died. Ashton and I were also just grumpy from not eating at all.

By the way- if you haven’t already gotten this I broke down a few times yesterday.
The light at the end of all of this is our apartment. It’s one block away from Whyte Avenue (like the Bank Street of Edmonton) and everything is within walking distance. Spacious with a living room, dining room, full kitchen with several closets and big sunny windows on the main floor of a walk-up. It’s just expensive building a whole new life. I’ve eaten out almost once every day since last Monday and I’m tired of it. The only solution however is to cook for ourselves which we’d LOVE to do if only we had pots, pans and other cooking supplies.

We fell asleep on an airmattress that gradually got lower and lower til we were sleeping on the beautiful caramel coloured carpet in our flat. I’m sitting on our ‘bed’ as I type this actually. It looks like a bomb went off everywhere. We only have so much but just in trying to figure out what to wear to the first day of work was messy.

That being said Day 2 = HOW DID I WHAT!?!?!

Have you ever gone into a brand new job first day and been promoted within the first five minutes of attendance? Well, that is what happened to me today. I was in shock. But I am very grateful all the same. This is a job that I’m sure many people would have been interested in but I’m not even sure of what the whole job entails! Yesterday I could count on my hand how many people I knew in Alberta alone- today I met at least 2 dozen Edmontonians.

It’s a really positive work environment and I could see myself sticking around there. This is an awesome contrast to every other job I’ve ever had where after one day, I’m ready to quit. Shit, I still need to quit my coffee shoppe job in Ontario. Well then…

Anyways, Ashton’s off buying pots and pans right now and I’m ready to pass out on my ‘bed’.

More updates will follow but right now, that’s all the entertainment that’s fit to type.

No comments: